When I was growing up I prided myself in the fact that I knew I was an Idaho girl. I had lived in the same house until I went to BYU when I was 20. I knew where "home" was and was proud to call Idaho "home".
But my children don't have that same comfort, luxury, whatever you want to call it. They have all been born in a different state. My two oldest have graduated from different high schools. When asked where they are from the only thing they can say is all over. They don't have a place to call "home". When they go off into the world and someone asks them where they grew up, I don't know what to tell them to say. I guess they can just respond with "it depends on what part of my life you are talking about." Hailey had to make a time line of her life for a school project and most of it was about her various moves. But one positive thing about all this moving around is they have been able to see alot of the great land we live in. They have been in most of the 50 states and they have seen places that I only saw in pictures when I was their age. They have been able to meet alot of different people and made alot more friends all over the United States. Some of them are still their friends even after many years.
With that being said it is time for us to move on again. Yes our time in Missouri has come to a close. When we moved here we knew we didn't want to live here forever. We knew that the west was where our family was and where we eventually wanted to end up. But we have loved the time we have spent here, the people we have met. The people that have influenced us and the people we have influenced in any way. We have enjoyed the green that Missouri has to offer and the beauty that is all around us. Yes, and we have even enjoyed the ice storms, the snow and blizzards. Can't say so much about the tornado sirens and the humidity. We will definately not miss those.
Bob's job has been going through some ups and downs. He had a good job and he felt somewhat secure. But a few funny things were going and he kept feeling the urge to continue to look for what was out there. He had several interviews at several locations, but always got rejected. So we figured we were meant to stay in Missouri. Then out of the blue Salt Lake City Community College called about a job he had applyed for awhile ago and one he figured was already filled. Within a few weeks he had had two phone interviews and was set up to fly to Salt Lake for a one on one interview. While he was still in Salt Lake he was offered the job. To top it all off they wanted him to start two weeks after that. Mind you this is not the beginning or middle of the summer. This is at the end of the summer. Our kids were scheduled to start school within a few days of the job offer. We felt like this was a great opportunity. A chance to be near family and was our "call home". So we immediately were put it jet mode and have been ever since. I feel like my head is spinning sometime when I lay down at night. There is too much to digest. Needless to say I am not sleeping or eating. I'm anxious to get our life back to "normal". So we are in the waiting stage. We put our kids in school while we wait. School has already started in Utah
Bob left last week to start our new life. He will be a Divisional Chair at Salt Lake Community College in Taylorsville, Utah. He will also have to oversee the other remote campuses they have around the Salt Lake valley. We thought we had our house leased and the family came for a second look at the house. They left and we thought they were going to sign the final paperwork, but instead they backed out. The rug was pulled out from underneath us. We had scheduled a UHaul to be picked up the next day so we could be out the next week for them. The more we thought about it Bob was worried about trying to get time off from work to came back for our stuff. So we decided to rent the UHaul anyway and for him to take most of our stuff with him and to bring Evan along to help drive. Evan is coming back in a few days to resume his part time job at Sears and to play the waiting game with the rest of us. Me, Hailey and Andrew stayed behind until the house sells. Emily went with him and got dropped off in Idaho to start another year at BYUI. So right now our family is split and it stinks. We went from a house full to nobody here. It is too quiet. Some times quiet is nice, but other times we miss the noise. We are in our house with almost everything gone which doesn't help either. All we are left with is a few kitchen items our mattresses on the floor our personal items and a few things we are hoping to sell before we leave.
So as the song goes "I'll go where you want me to go" seems to be our theme song. Hopefully this will be a place our children will be able to call "home". And hopefully we will grow to love Salt Lake like we have all of our other "homes", and we will meet new friends, see new places and influence others and be influenced by other great people and enjoy being near family and loved ones again.
No comments:
Post a Comment