7.19.2013

The "Y"

When I was a student at BYU a 100 years ago one thing that I wanted to do before I graduated was hike the "Y".  So two room mates and a room mates boyfriend decided to attempt this rite of passage.  Since we had never been there we didn't know where or how to begin.  We didn't talk to anybody before so we drove toward the bottom of the mountain and parked our car.  For some reason we didn't see any kind of path. So we just decided to start climbing.  We looked where the "Y" was and just started heading in that direction. So up the mountain we went.  We climbed for what seemed like hours and climbed what seemed like "Mt Everest".  One of my roommates complained the whole way and was cussing our roommates boy friend for making us go the hard way.  But we finally made it.  I wish I could remember how long it took us.  After making it to the "Y" we were surprised to see others coming off what appeared to be a trail off the side.  We were like "oh, there is a trail?" So we decided to go down the "trail."  So much easier and so much better. But we were proud that we made it up the hard way and proud of what we accomplished.  So since that day a century ago I decided I wanted to attempt it again and go up the trail this time.  My kids wanted to attempt it as well.  So that day and time finally came.  We made sure to find the trail this time and go the easier way.  It was quite a steep climb, but as I looked at what I figured was the path we went so many years ago I couldn't believe I made it.  My kids looked at what appeared to be the path we went as well and couldn't believe I made it.  I am so glad I tried it again and that I made it and didn't collapse at the top.  Here we are at the bottom of the trail. Bob was out of town so he wasn't with us.

Can you spot Andrew?
This is how you are suppose to go.
Hailey, this is only the first switchback?!!
I had to stop and rest a few times.  I am so glad they had resting spots along the way.







Yes another resting spot.  Hailey is yelling at Evan to slow down and to tell him she is tired of walking.  Emily is taking a much needed water break.  Myra is making sure her hair still looks good.  Andrew is looking at all of us and can't believe he lives with these people.

We can see the "Y".




The altitude is getting to Emily and Evan.

Hailey is saying "you stink, but I still love you."





WE FINALLY MADE IT.  We had to make our "Y" arms.
Thumbs up we did it!!!!!



Andrew is very talented.
Yes Evan made it too.
The girls climbing down the "Y" on their butts. Not brave enough to do it standing up.
The view from the top.  Absolutely fabulous.
The crew before we headed back down.


Yay! We are almost done!
So much easier going down.

Hailey wants to go again.  After completing this great accomplishment I am so glad I did it the right way this time and went up the trail.

No comments: